Equal parts dynamic, cosmopolitan, sports-mad and arty, Melbourne simultaneously exudes style and keeps its best spots hidden, inviting discovery by food and culture lovers. Set on the shores of picturesque Port Phillip Bay, the southernmost city of mainland Australia is rich in aesthetics, with its beauty enhanced by the meandering Yarra River, immaculate parks and gardens, public art, classical buildings and innovative design.
Melbourne is often dubbed the most ‘European’ of Australian cities and there is also a mini New York vibe here, thanks to the city’s well-ordered grid and scattering of art-deco high-rises. But Melbourne is uniquely Melbourne, too. Much of that is due to the 230-plus laneways that penetrate into the heart of city blocks, which are recognised for world-class street art, restaurants and bars.
Melbourne has long been food and coffee obsessed and had liberal, bohemian and progressive strands to its subculture. Top chefs are inspired by their heritage and don’t just cook local produce, but native ingredients used by Indigenous Australians for hundreds of thousands of years. Mingled with hotspots in laneways, warehouses and on rooftops, it’s clear that Melbourne doesn’t have to try – it just is.
OLDEST LIVING CULTURE IN THE WORLD
- Known as the Kulin Nation to its traditional owners, Melbourne has a rich Indigenous culture dating back more than 40,000 years.
HIGH LEVEL SAFETY AND SECURITY
- Over 200 countries, 180 languages and 110 religious faiths represented
- World’s Most Liveable City 2011-2017
- The Australian Government is committed to making conferences in Australia easy to attend, facilitated by the International Event Coordinator Network (IECN) – a designated group of immigration experts
EASY ACCOMMODATION ACCESS TO CONVENTION CENTRE
- Over 7,600 rooms available within a ten-minute walk of the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre (MCEC)
- More than 25,000 rooms within a 10-minute commute of the CBD.
AUSTRALIA'S PREMIER CONFERENCE CITY
- Australasia’s Leading Meetings and Conference Destination (2018 World Travel Awards)
- Australia’s highest concentration of conference facilities. The convention district offers more than 197,000 square metres of conference space, the pinnacle of which is Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre.
PROVEN RECORD IN ATTRACTING HIGH DELEGATE NUMBERS
- Melbourne has been voted Australasia’s Leading Meetings and Conference Destination at the 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2018 World Travel Awards. The appeal of Melbourne as a globally desirable place to visit will encourage attendance to IMSC 2024.
- Melbourne’s city centre has Australia’s largest and fastest free WIFI network.
Australia's knowledge capital
Melbourne is home to a wide range of Australian chemical, medical technology and pharmaceutical industries, world class Universities, leading research institutes and a sophisticated health system. Its researchers are engaged in analytical, physical and biological chemistry, materials characterization, chemical and structural biology, ‘omics research, pharmaceutical development, biomedical engineering, bio-manufacturing, and biomedical and translational medicine. In particular, Melbourne’s biomedical research and development capabilities are unparalleled in Australia, and are amongst the world’s best.
For example, the Melbourne Biomedical Precinct is made up of over 40 research, teaching and biotechnology organizations and hospitals, largely co-located around Parkville to the north of Melbourne’s city centre. The close proximity of the Precinct Partners has been key to building a culture of collaboration over many years.
A big day ends here
MAJOR INTERNATIONAL HOTELS
Includes Hyatt, Westin, Marriott, Sofitel, Novotel, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn and Sheraton.
MORE THAN 22,500 AIRBNB LISTINGS
With nearly all Airbnb units in Melbourne located within five to seven kilometres of the CBD.
OVER 7,600 ROOMS
Within 10 minute walk from MCEC.
OPTIONS TO SUIT ALL BUDGETS
With hostel and budget-style accommodation starting from just $20 per night.
ACCOMMODATION INVENTORY SUMMARY
|Star Rating||Number of Hotels||Number of Rooms|
STR AVERAGE DAILY RATE
|Category||AUD Rate||USD Rate||EUR Rate|
|Melbourne City Luxury & Upper Upscale||$265.54||$180.57||€161.98|
Source: STR Data, August 2019. Exchange rate AUD1 = USD 0.68 / EUR 0.61 as at 28/01/20